Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Broccoli and Chicken Casserole


I had made a broccoli cheese mixture to go on top of some baked potatoes earlier in the week. I saved the almost broccoli-cheese soup mixture because I knew it would make a great casserole later in the week. This is the casserole that I came up with.

Ingredients:
Broccoli-cheese mixture:
1 small onion
2 tablespoons butter
2 table spoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons flour
1 box of frozen chopped broccoli
2 1/2 to 3 cubs of milk (I used skim, but whatever you have)
3 big hand fulls of shredded Mexican cheese mixture
1 cub shredded Parmesan cheese
salt/pepper

Breaded Chicken:
3 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
about 2 1/2 cups of Italian bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of oil, enough to lightly cover pan and sear the chicken

What I did:
I started the broccoli mixture by melting the butter in some olive oil. I then grated in about half the small onion into the bubbling butter and oil (this smells awesome by the way!).
After that cooked for about 2 to 3 minutes, I sprinkled in the flour and stirred together. I let that cook until it formed a nice light rue, and the white flour was not visible, about 2 minutes.
Then I added the milk and broccoli and let cook, stirring with a whisk to break up any lumps, for about 10 minutes.
The mixture starts to get up to a boil, and then I add the cheese and start to make figure 8 motions to mix the cheese into the now thickening mixture. I also add salt and pepper to taste.
I let this cook for about 10 more minutes to get everything really nice, hot and fully thickened. Last thing I shredded some Parmesan cheese on top and mixed that in as well. (Like I've said before, everything tastes better with Parmesan cheese!)

So that is the broccoli mixture, now for the chicken.

First I washed the chicken breasts and then dredged them lightly in flour. Then I dunked them in a mixture of 2 eggs mixed with a little water, making sure to shake off the extra egg. Then I dredged them in Italian bread crumbs.

I took the lightly breaded chicken and laid them in a pre-heated skillet with olive oil to about medium to medium high heat. I cooked until a nice golden brown on either side, then placed all three chicken breasts in a deep pie plate. Then I poured the broccoli mixture over top of the chicken and stuck the dish in a pre-heated 400 degree oven.

I cooked the chicken for about half an hour or until a meat thermometer read 160 (must get chicken to this temperature for it to be safe to eat).
Right before it was done, I sprinkled on a mixture of Italian bread crumbs and melted butter that I brought together with a fork. This makes a nice crunchy topping. I sprinkled this on top of the casserole along with some shredded cheese and stuck back in the oven until golden brown and delicious.

I hope you try this really easy recipe; it really tasted comforting.

1 comment:

Nat said...

was it good???? you know where you can bring leftovers....