Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Memphis Rubbed Pork Loin


This is a slow cooker recipe I tried because I started to eat pork again, and I simply love it! I have a new found respect for the pig. My mom's favorite rub for pork is her Memphis rub. I have included the recipe for it as well as what i did to create this yummy pork dish.

Ingredients:
pork loin
2 or 3 medium onions (pictured above I only had a small onion, but the more onions the better)
handful sized sprinkle of Memphis rub (recipe to follow)
teaspoon oregano
teaspoon garlic powder
pepper
water to come half way up the pork
2 bay leaves

What I did:
I put the pork loin in the slow cooker, along with the onions and all seasonings, water and bay leaves. I let it cook on low for 7 hours. Make sure you have enough water or some sort of stock in your slow cooker if it cooks hot, or the meat will be dry at the end. I learned this the hard way, lol.

Memphis rub:
¼ cup paprika
1 ½ tbsp black pepper
1 ½ tbsp firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 ½ tsp celery salt
1 ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp dry mustard
1 ½ tsp ground cumin

No comments: